Last night, as I was sitting on my bed gathering my thoughts to write about the past 4 days, I fell asleep....at 630pm!!! And woke up at 630am. A solid 12 hours! My boyfriend can attest, the only thing I really complain about is not being able to sleep. Its been really rainy and sticky this week and my area fan is struggling to keep my room semi-cool! And you know that feeling when you think something is crawling on you, but its usually just your imagination? Well, in Belize something IS crawling on you...ants, spiders, beetles--they just love my skin when I'm trying to sleep! I wake up each AM to witness the evidence of the crawlers that I squished in my sleep, laid out on my sheet. I even take cold showers before bed and don't put on anything scented....I guess a mosquito net would be beneficial, mostly for all of these other crawlers. Nonetheless, I am very sleep deprived!
I have a couple other friends that hang out in my room, but they usually hide behind my night stand or curtains...LIZARDS! My first night in Belize, I chased one out of my room and barricaded the crevice of my door with an old sheet...it was huge, and looked scary--like half snake, half lizard! I've tried to overcome my fear, because they'll eat all of these pesky bugs. I pulled my bed a little bit away from the wall so that hopefully they don't crawl on me in my sleep. Also, when did I become such a pansy, city girl?!! Growing up, my sister and I used to catch lizards and make them homes in a shoe box, before our mom would make us release them; we would hold daddy-long-legs by one leg and throw them on each other; we would catch garden snakes by their necks and show them off to our parents--the only thing we were really scared of were bees, and thats because we ALWAYS got stung. Oh, and the craw-dads...but we would just cut off their clippers and throw them back in the creek--our innocent minds not realizing we destroyed their one tool to survival! I'm trying to get back into my country girl mindset, and just make friends with all of the bugs :-D Except for the mosquitoes and massive spiders!
As for hospital life, its been really busy! We went from 1 inpatient my first week, to all 10 rooms being full--even though its a 20 bed hospital, there are only 10 rooms containing two beds; one for the patient, and one for the family. No patient is ever alone! On Monday, we had 3 births so it has sounded like their is crying competition out in the hallway.
Now that I've formed relationships with several of the doctors, I'm always looking for the next interesting case (ER, ObGyn, Ortho). I love the independence that they give students and they're so trusting--once you show them that your proficient, your allowed to do almost anything; and they don't hover! We've also had a couple late night cases in the OR--appendectomy and lap chole. I got to scrub in and assist; at the end the surgeon thanked ME for my help; I was like "No, no...thank you!" Everyone is soooo nice! I was also super surprised that they had a laproscopic machine! La Loma Luz is well known in Belize for their healthcare, and since it is a private hospital, everyone pays out of pocket---the locals save up for months to seek treatment. And they're so grateful. It really is a joy helping them!
We've had a couple more cases of dengue fever this week--not gonna lie, there have been several instance where I've taken my own temperature, convinced that I'm sick. But no, I'm just REALLY HOT! I don't know how the doctors wear suits and white coats, I'm dying in my scrubs. But to them, this is cool. I'm just a spoiled American girl learning the benefits of baby power. :-D
I can't believe its already Friday--this means laundry day! The kitchen also bakes bread on Thursdays/Fridays and sells it to the community. I love walking down to breakfast on these mornings, the kitchen smells so good! Yesterday, Aurdette made "Fry Jacks"--bread dough cut into small triangles and fried. I saw a bowl of what looked like sautéed apples with cinnamon sitting next to the jacks and thought "Yum, apple strudel!!!" My first bite was startling, because it was squash with soy sauce.haha Not quite the flavor I was going for...and I'm not the biggest an of squash. I pulled out the old child hood trick and stuffed the squash in my napkin and enjoyed my fry jack with strawberry jam instead. The diet here consists of a lot of carbs! I've gotta start using my yoga mat for something other than extra mattress padding and play more futbol!
The rain has stopped, time to run down to the hospital before the next rain cloud arrives!!!
![]() |
| Fresh coconuts left on my front porch!! |
| Not so humid |
![]() |
| Just drained a nasty abscess! |
| Barely have trade names down in English... |


No comments:
Post a Comment