We see one case of probable dengue fever. Dr. Camel says it is very common in Belize as is chikungunya, both of which are transmitted via mosquitos. He says he has never seen a case of malaria, which is ironic, because as tourists, it's what we are most concerned with (probably because it's more deadly!). But apparently, I'm much more at risk for coming down with dengue fever or chikungunya! The good news is, you can only get dengue fever 4 times in your lifetime, due to the fact that there are only four serotypes. Normally, treatment is symptomatic with pain management and hydration. However, the major risk occurs if a person previously infected with dengue fever, becomes infected with another serotype--this may lead to bleeding and endothelial leakage, known as dengue hemorrhagic fever. If left untreated, the mortality rate is as high as 50%. Dad, don't panic....I have yet to have a single mosquito bite! (*def knocking on wood)
After clinic, I hang out in the OR with Dr. Camel and the orthopedic surgeon to observe a patellar tendon repair. I am actually impressed by the efficiency of the small OR. They make do with what they have and are able to maintain a relatively sterile field!
Dinner consists of rice and beans, fried plantains and eggplant, mashed potatoes, cabbage salad, fresh papaya/pinapple, and homade bread pudding. I'm definitely not going to shrivel away and I could eat those fried plantains for the rest of my life, EVERY SINGLE DAY! I wander outside the main lobby to let my food digest and to mooch off of the WiFi; just as soon as I sit down on the cement bench, I hear what sounds like sports announcers on a television. My ears perk up as a realize it is a soccer game....excuse me, futbol game! I run inside and see 5 Belizian men huddled around a small, 12-inch screen TV. I hover over them to see the score, and then realize, oh it's just a men's match ...not the Woman's World Cup! I sit down regardless, and one of the gentleman says, "You were hoping it was the woman's game, eh?" We start talking about futbol and I assure him that its okay, I don't need to see the game....even though I'm DYING inside! As we're talking, the final whistle blows and the other men start to leave; my new friend hands me the remote and wishes me well at finding my game. I spend the next 45 minutes watching the most exciting half of the USA vs Germany game, along side several other locals that join me. One gentleman even invites me to play tomorrow evening in the field across the street. I'm pretty sure the last time I played futbol was in Peru, and I got schooled by a bunch of 8 year-old boys.haha But I am up for the exercise and providing the locals entertainment as I slide across the grass in my treadless shoes!
Another perk to lingering around the hospital, is seeing what comes through the doors after hours. Just as the game is finishing, an elderly woman walks through the lobby with her calf wrapped in a bloody towel. I walk back to the emergency room to see what is going on; apparently, a glass Coke bottle exploded, creating a deep, 7cm gash in her calf. The orthopedic doctor (I'm terrible with names!) is suturing her leg, and he begins to ask me all sorts of questions about American news...."What is going on with the Kardashian's?", "What do you think about Donald Trump running for president?", "What about the new law for marriage?". I smile and tell him he probably knows more about it all than I do....he says he only watches CNN, Fox, and ABC. Um, that's 3 more sources than me! Well, I must confess. My isolation from technology is no longer so dismal. As I arrive to my apartment this evening, Dr Camel's wife (Reyjana) knocks on my door. She says her husband told her how I usually hang out at the hospital to use the WiFi and she offers to let me use their WiFi for 6 Belizian dollars a week ($3 US!). It has def been a nice luxury and I've been able to start researching adventures to go on during my weekends off! So many choices! Zip-lining through the jungle, cave-tubing at Jaguar Paw, exploring Actun Tunichil Muknal (world-renowned underground cave), and visiting the Mayan ruins of Xunantunich, just to name a few. Good thing I have 5 weekends to squeeze it all in! Can't wait to share those stories with you :-D
No comments:
Post a Comment