Monday, 29 June 2015

I'm on a plane!!!

Today marks day 1 of my 38 day adventure to Belize! During this time, I will be working at La Loma Luz Hospital in Santa Elena as a physician assistant student. I have absolutely no idea what I’m going to be doing, but when the opportunity arose to spend one of my clinical rotations at an international site, I couldn’t resist. Well, kinda. I actually turned in my form an hour before the deadline and then almost backed out.haha But here I am! On a plane to Belize :-D

I’ll be spending most days working at the 20-bed semi-rural hospital, which specializes in OB, pediatrics, surgery and emergency medicine….they see up to 40 outpatients a day. I’m not sure what my role will be as a PA student, but I’m keeping an open mind and hoping for some good, hands-on experience. I’m ready to poke, prod, cut, sew, and catch babies…whatever comes my way! I’m just extremely curious, nervous and excited!!! I’ve had fairly limited communication with the site, but they seem friendly and were able to answer the important questions—I’ll have a ride from the airport, there is sketchy WiFi at the hospital, I’ll have a fan in my room, and I can wear scrubs! All great perks! It definitely made packing a little bit easier, although still a HUGE challenge to fit 6 weeks into one 45 lb bag….no way was I gonna pay $225 for an oversized bag! And considering the weather is in the 90s with intermittent rain throughout the day and about 60-80% humidty, less is best :-D


Yesterday was pure chaos! I don’t recommend leaving yourself one day to pack for an international trip! I made two trips to the store for “last minute items” and packed/re-packed my bag at least 5 times, trying to eliminate the less essential items. I also realized that the pharmacy skimped on my anti-malarial pills and only gave me ¼ of the prescribed dosage….good thing I didn’t want to take those things anyhow! At least I have plenty of Tums, ib profen, and Pepto Bismol to get me through any rough moments. :-D I think I have all of the necessities and even threw in my yoga mat so that I don’t go stir crazy in the evenings. I found a yoga studio a mile away in San Ignacio, which is supposed to be more of a hopping town. I’m excited to check it out! I’ll be hot and sweaty….why not get a little zen while I’m at it! I can’t wait to start exploring and work too ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment